Apply to pay by instalments

1. Contact Access Canberra on 13 22 81 for information on managing your infringement.
2. Complete the application form and attach any supporting documentation.
3. If your application is rejected, you could appeal that decision, or look at the other options for dealing with the fine.

If you wish to pay a traffic, parking, traffic camera or other transport fine but cannot pay it all at once, you can apply to pay it in instalments. There is no time limit for how long the instalment plan will last for. To enter a payment plan, you need to apply for an ‘infringement notice management plan’ (INMP).

The amount of each instalment will be determined by the RTA having regard to your income. This means your application will need to include details of your financial circumstances. The minimum payment will never be less than $10 per fortnight.

Only those who have a Centrelink Health Care Card, Centrelink Pension Card, Department of Veterans’ Affairs Pension Card, or Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card have automatic access to this payment option. Everyone else is required to provide evidence of financial hardship with their application.

How to submit your application

Locate the relevant form at the

Otherwise, traffic and parking infringements can now be dealt with on the Access Canberra website 24/7. You can select the ‘manage infringement’ tab at the Access Canberra website: traffic-and-parking-infringements-tab-overview

If you want the instalments taken from your Centrelink payment, complete a general application form, a Centrelink Deduction Authority Application form and a Concession Validation Consent form.

If you want the instalments directly debited from your bank account, complete a general application form and an INMP Direct Debit Request form. f you want to pay by Centrepay or Bpay call 6207 6000.

If you already have an instalment payment plan and want to add a new fine, go to the Access Canberra website at and select the ‘Manage Infringement’ tab.

You must also provide photo ID, and your pay slips or Centrelink income statement.

Send the form(s) to:

Phone (02) 6207 8754
In person At any Access Canberra Service Centre
Post Road Transport Authority
PO Box 582

If your application to pay off your fine this way is refused, you will be given notice of the refusal. You will have the later of 7 days from the day you receive that notice or 28 days from the day you receive the original fine to do something else.

If your application is approved, you must let the RTA know in writing if your financial situation changes and/or you cannot make a payment as soon as possible. If you miss payments, you risk your licence being suspended.


The material in this fact sheet is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this publication without first getting legal advice about their particular situations.
If you would like more information, please contact Street Law on (02) 6218 7900 or Street Law is a program of Canberra Community Law Ltd.
© Canberra Community Law Ltd. Not to be reproduced without permission or acknowledgement.
Last updated: 14 May 2021

Skip to content