Who are we?
Housing Law is a specialist service of Canberra Community Law providing free, independent and confidential legal help.
Housing Law can provide you with free legal advice if you are having problems with Housing ACT or a community housing provider in the ACT.
Some examples of problems we can help you with are:
- Difficulties getting public housing
- Rent arrears/behind on rent
- Housing transfers
- Housing debts
- Repairs and maintenance
We can also help you if you:
- have an occupancy agreement or live in a caravan park, hostel or boarding house; or
- live outside the ACT by referring you to a community legal centre in your area.
If you need legal assistance on a private tenancy matter please phone the Tenants Advice Service on 1300 402 512 or visit https://www.legalaidact.org.au/tasact
How can we help you?
We can provide you with initial advice on your situation and the options you have.
In some cases, we may also be able to:
- Talk to Housing ACT on your behalf
- Help you to challenge decisions
- Represent you in Tribunal and Court hearings
We cannot provide:
- Advice to landlords
- Advice on neighbour disputes
- Advice which may lead to the eviction of another tenant (subject to limited exceptions)
If you need help in one of these areas please ring the Legal Aid ACT’s Helpline on 1300 654 314 or visit www.legalaidact.org.au
Would you like to contact Housing Law?
- Please call us on (02) 6218 7900.
Visit our Housing Resources for further information about common housing issues and navigating the legal process.
Tenants Advice Service for private tenancy factsheets. https://www.legalaidact.org.au/tasact