Who are we?
Social Security and Housing Law is a specialist legal service of Canberra Community Law.
Social Security and Housing Law provides free, independent and confidential legal assistance with Public Housing and Centrelink for people living in the ACT.
Who can we assist?
Domestic violence can have a big impact on your housing situation and can cause problems with Centrelink and Public Housing.
We can assist:
- People experiencing domestic violence who are facing problems getting into public housing or getting a transfer
- People with housing repair debts, due to their partner damaging the property
How can we help you?
We can provide you with free legal advice on your situation and the options you have.
In some cases, we may also be able to:
- Talk to Housing ACT or Centrelink on your behalf
- Help you to make an application for public housing or Centrelink
- Help you to appeal decisions
- Represent you in the Tribunal
Would you like to contact Social Security and Housing Law?
- Download the Domestic Violence Legal Health Check — Housing and Social Security checklist PDF. If you answer ‘yes’ or ‘unsure’ to any of the questions, you may have a legal issue that Canberra Community Law can advise on. You can speak to a solicitor by calling us direct on (02) 6218 7900.
- If you need an interpreter please call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450 and ask them to ring us.
- To contact us via the National Relay Service ring 133 677 (voice calls) or 1300 555 727 (speak and listen).
- If you prefer to communicate in writing please email us at email@example.com.
Visit our Domestic Violence and Public Housing Fact Sheets for information about common housing issues that affect people experiencing domestic or family violence.
Visit our Social Security Law Resources for information about Centrelink issues that affect people experiencing domestic or family violence