Socio-Legal Practice Clinic Brochure

Have a legal issue and need some non-legal help as well?

Call Socio-Legal Practice Clinic on (02) 6218 7900.

What is the Socio-legal Practice Clinic?

The Socio-Legal Practice (SLP) Clinic is a program of Canberra Community Law. In the SLP Clinic, our lawyer and social worker will work together with you to help you with your legal issues.

The SLP Clinic provides legal advice and intensive social work for people over 18 who have a high degree of vulnerability and have housing, Centrelink or disability discrimination issues.

Who can we help?

The SLP Clinic can help you if you have a legal issue and also need social support. It provides you with assistance from both a lawyer and social worker.

It is designed to help when you have a legal issue but you may have other problems that are difficult to solve, especially where the barriers have been difficult to overcome.

Some of the problems we can help you with are:

  • Evictions
  • Housing applications and transfers
  • Rent arrears
  • Housing debts
  • Applying for and getting onto Centrelink payments
  • Centrelink debts

What can we do?

We can provide you with initial advice from a lawyer and social worker about your situation and the options you have.

We may also be able to:

  • Talk to housing providers on your behalf
  • Help you to challenge Housing ACT or Centrelink decisions
  • Prepare legal documents for you
  • Represent you in Tribunal and Court hearings
  • Refer and connect you with services, and work with those services to resolve your matter

The legal help and social worker assistance are free and confidential.

The SLP Clinic works with you

The SLP Clinic is designed to provide intensive and flexible assistance. Our lawyers can talk to you about your legal issues and offer advice and representation.

Our social worker will also take the time to understand your situation and what assistance you might need to support the resolution of your legal issue.

We can work with you and your support workers from other agencies, or we can help you connect to supports if you don’t have them.

In some circumstances we can visit you either at home or closer to where you live.

Need help with a legal problem and need social support?

A hand drawn image of a phone

Please call us on (02) 6218 7900

Visit the SLP Clinic web page.

If you need an interpreter please call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450 and ask them to ring us.

If you are deaf or have a hearing impairment or speech impairment, contact us through the National Relay Service at

You can find a list of our other legal services on our services page.

An image of The Indigenous Flag & the Torres Strait Islander Flag

We acknowledge and celebrate the First Australians on whose traditional lands we work and pay our respects to the elders of the Ngunnawal people past and present.